But I have questions because I'd never seen this before except on TV.
- Do these people get picked up by contractors on a regular basis, or is it always a crap shoot?
- Isn't it scary to just get in the truck of whomever comes by? (I guess that's why there are no women doing this.)
- What kind of work do they do?
- How do they determine the pay rate?
- Do they get paid more if they're picked up first?
- Do they pay taxes?
- Do these guys speak English?
- Could I get them to help me renovate? ('Cuz it's about me.)
- How early do they get there? They seem to be gone by noon, so do they all get hired, or do they have a backup job?
- What's the average wait time?
- I haven't picked out any regulars yet, how long do these men work the corner before landing a regular job?
- If they land a regular job, is it a contract job that will spit them back on to the corner after a while?
- What kind of life to do they have? What are their expenses? What do they do in their off time? One of the condos I looked into buying was a very spartan 2 bedroom. The master had 2 bunkbeds, the air was close, and my realtor mentioned that it was most likely shared by immigrants while the owners lived with their baby in the smaller room. Is that the standard housing, or do these guys earn enough to have a regular apartment?
I may never know the answers to these questions. But I ask them to myself a lot.