Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Back to Basics

When I'm feeling uninspired by a topic but want to post, I try to go back to basics and post three things which made me happy today, even if the day was a miserable suckfest, all told. Because who needs to hang on to that? Today wasn't a miserable suckfest, but the closest I got to a party was walking by the already full British Pub down the street after my hair appointment, which I wasted by sleeping on the couch. So. Sleep still funky since I wasn't even able to muster the oomph to stagger to a bar on St. Pattys. But good things happened.

  • Walked to and from my hairdressing appointment, and the day was gloriously nice out. Not too hot, not too cold, and many degrees warmer than the 60F afternoons we've been stuck with for the last several weeks on end. I actually hauled out capris and a short sleeve top without a long sleeved undershirt for the first time in dogs years. Spring, it maybe sorta might be here!

  • My cut and color went well. Stylist Emily is new at the shop having moved from the midwest and the northwest to follow her bf who works for Budweiser. (Turns out Budweiser has some corporate offices right around the corner from me. Who knew?) Anyhow, back to the good stuff. Teeny tiny, barely 5 foot Emily is in the process of building her clientelle. I like her. She's cheerful, cuts a good a-line, does a scalp massage, and likes to experiment with color. The (Wella) color did not burn, sting, tingle or in any way indicate that I should not use it again. The results are good, the color looks nice but a little more brown than red - which can be adjusted since she did the mix herself. Since I can pretty well afford the prices, and if given 10 minutes I can walk to the salon, Emily might be a keeper.

  • The Vegas and Grand Canyon guide books from the library are yielding information. I'll need to check in with my buddy tomorrow and book us some hotel rooms, but I have more confidence in our choices now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding a stylist you can trust is like finding a $20 bill on the street: Rare, exciting, a major boon. I envy you, lady!

CrankyOtter said...

I agree. One of the hardest things is finding a good stylist. When I lived in Boston and wanted to shear off my college locks, I went to 5 different salons on Newbury St and asked to consult with a stylist. One shop only sent people out looking like Rachel (JA from Friends), one shop was just odd, 3 shops could have done it, but I only clicked with one stylist. I stuck with her for 5 years until she stopped working to have kids. I've kind of been bouncing around since. Moving cross country didn't help. I found a decent stylist in San Fran, but that doesn't help me much. There's a lady in town who is fabulous, but so are her prices and I can't afford her without a coupon. So I'm hoping Emily works out and I can stop the trial runs. Having a good hair day is so important!

Beki said...

I hope things work out well with Emily---a good hair day just makes everything go better.

I just asked my stylist for a change since I was feeling down lately and she asked what I wanted. I suggested a style that would make me look 10 years younger and 50 pound lighter. So she cut it about 2 inches shorter than normal and added in more layers.

It wasn't exactly what I asked for but I like it. I guess I will need another plan for the weight and age thingie though.

CrankyOtter said...

Good luck with that miracle haircut! Too funny. Glad it worked out at least for the hair.