Sunday, April 15, 2007

Parsnip Pie and Parents

Ok, maybe it was the execution of the idea, but my parsnip pie was not good. I started out with the intention of making a pumpkin pie. Apparently I forgot how to read as I had 2 cans of evaporated milk one of which had a picture of pumpkin pie on the front, not 1 can of milk and 1 can of pumpkin mush. But I did have some nearly dead parsnips in the fridge. Being root veggies they dehydrated rather than decayed, so I boiled them up and they were tasty again. (I like eating parsnips more than cooking them even though they are easy.) I mixed in a potato for bulk and followed the directions for half a pumpkin pie. Maybe I didn't bake it long enough to get the carmelization all the way through, but it didn't come out like I'd hoped it would. It was a little light and rubbery. Oh well. No recipe posting for me.

I have been getting music from TV commercials. Tonights i.T.unes downloads are

They are fantastic additions to my Mellow Mix. I have now listened to the pair of them about a dozen times in a row. They both have a really lush sound that is enveloping and wonderful.

I've also been getting inquiries about the glass again. I need to figure out a schedule for blowing soon! And figure out how many more ornaments I need to make for my pre-orders. After my parents visit.

My condo is going to be a sad shock to their system after their luxury digs in SF for the School Board convention. Even with my freshly spackled bathroom walls. They wound up on the 16th floor of the Hy.att Embarcadero which is a floor with key access only with a fantastic view of the bay. I'm living with a dorm sized fridge until I renovate the kitchen. On this special floor, the hotel puts out a buffet all day. My parents love food. Although I think they're going to regret having only one bed after their extra garlicky dinner The Stinking Rose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents just left. I sometimes am happy they live farther away but if the lived closer they wouldn't stay so long...

It's hard having people underfoot in your space.

S.

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you I love that hem song! WOOHOO!

CrankyOtter said...

FW2: I love my parents a lot, but we get along better long distance. Oddly, they'll only be here monday night through wednesday afternoon. And I'm making them do patio decoration on tuesday.

Andrea: You're welcome, I love it too. I kept hearing the commercial and finally couldn't stand it anymore and go.ogle searched some of they lyrics. It's a little sarah McL, a little enya, a little folk, and as I mentioned, sounds lush. The voicing is gorgeous; it has high notes speaking to a traditional tune; undernotes of rolling waves which also feels timeless; and the middle keyboard notes are like muted bell chimes. It almost doesn't matter what the lyrics are but I'm please that it ends on a happy note nonetheless.