Monday, February 12, 2007

Some days I purely hate nature (TMI)

I spent most of this weekend asleep. If "the body obeys the brain" then my brain was saying "you are sleepy now". I'm pretty sure it's because of my period, but it could be exacerbated by the sinus infection, it's a little hard to tell. I'm thinking it's time to go back on the pill. After having been so medicated for half my life, I decided to risk going au natural for a while, and I gotta say, I don't like it. My skin has gone to hell in a handbasket, and the fatigue is almost indescribable. I really can't afford to lose a day and a half of my life once a month because my period drains my energy so badly I feel like I'm swimming through jello. I think if the vomiting had started up again, I wouldn't be writing this post, I'd be medicated again long since.

Saturday started out ok: I got up at a reasonable time, went to the hot shop and got my ornament mojo back, then picked up some yummy Indian food. But after I came back and ate some medium spicy chicken tikka masala and matter paneer, I fell asleep on the couch for 4 hours. It seemed a little unnecessary. I woke up for a couple hours, puttered on the 'puter, and went to bed.

Sunday, however, was really bad. I hit snooze for a couple hours, finally got sick of it, turned the alarm off figuring I'd just get up, and slept for another 2 hours. At which point, I dragged myself out of bed, had a bowl of oatmeal and some hot tea, then fell asleep on the couch. I woke up for about 5-8 minutes every half-hour to 45 minutes, enough to realize that the room design I'd seen the start of was long gone and we were in another HGTV room. Around 4:30, my friend called to say we were on for dinner.

It took me about 15 minutes to shake the cobwebs from my brain, I picked up my BodyRev intending to do a full legs workout and could barely lift the thing. It's 10 pounds. Normally I use it fully weighted with no trouble on the routines I'm familiar with. I struggled through about a 1/3 of the legs routine then gave up and showered. The movement and shower woke me up enough that I didn't feel unsafe driving in to Westwood for dinner (about 35 miles).

I met my friend for dinner, which was nice since we've been too busy to get together for way too long. We had half servings of stuff at Jerrys, which was still rather a lot of food. And after another brief stop, I came home. I can't hang at her place because I'm allergic to her cat. And I'm still fighting my sinus infection (I may have to give in and go find a doctor) so I can't risk even a brief stop there.

I made it home ok, patched yet another hole in my aerobed (really need to get it replaced), checked my email, and went to bed. Oh, on the advice of my friend, I also rigged up a really bright full spectrum light to go off around the time of my alarm using my christamas light timer and the huge bulb I'd bought for some eye therapy thing. I think it'll help, but it was a rude shock this morning.

So. I'm awake today. More so than yesterday. I'll see how it goes. But I think I've got to get to a doctor and fix this problem I have with nature. If I were living in a nomadic society, between my period, my terrible eyesight, and my severe allergies, I think they would have left me in the snow and moved on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks you need some blood work done for iron and thyroid.

All those symptoms are also the same for those (and high bp but I doubt that since it seems to be cyclic).

As for "au natural", it's a PITA :)

Shasta MacNasty said...

ditto farmwifetwo.

i had a bout with severe fatigue once with my period recently. i went to the gyne about it and found out i have fibroids. now im not saying you do, but if you were THAT drained during your period, it would be worth seeing a doctor for. if anything, like farmwife said, get your CBC done to see if you might be anemic, thyroid, etc. :)