Monday, July 30, 2007

947 Mile Roundtrip

I spent a wonderful weekend in San Fransisco and Sacramento. I hung out with many familiar friendly faces and met some new ones as well. Thanks to everyone who was so welcoming! Lots of fun, lots of sun, not much sleep to speak of. Managed to keep myself alert while driving by listening to my music mixes, a funny book on CD (JE's "11 on Top") and talking to my mom on the phone. And stopping to refuel both the car and myself.

On the way back from Sacramento to home, 35 miles of the 400 is pretty much straight uphill. The mountain range between the central valley and LA on the I-5 is many thousand feet up and it just keeps going and going. For some reason the traffic, while clumped in places, was easily navigable. It was almost eerie how easily I could get around traffic and just zoom zoom off ahead. At one point I noticed that everyone else was going really slowly. Then I looked down at my spedometer and realized that I was just going very fast. My wonderful Mazda3 had hit some sort of groove and was flying along like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I even took my foot off the accelerator and the engine kept going and the car kept going and so I went with it. If the car is happy going that fast uphill, who am I to argue?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've ridden with you... that's just and excuse to go fast :)

Well... where are the deets????????

S.

CrankyOtter said...

Dude. Sleepy. Got in at 11. Unpacked and asleep by 12.