Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back on Schedule

The farmer's market in town, expensive as it is, is my primary source for fresh produce. I find that I can eat $20 of stuff from there in a week without much, if any, spoilage - after the 25% vinegar rinse.

But I haven't been since before Thanksgiving! Today was my first day back in more than a month because it's on Thursday, and every major holiday has shut it down this year. For the other weeks between T-day and X-day, I had 2 weeks of no kitchen in which to clean or eat veggies and 1 Thursday starting trip to San Fran.

I'd been feeling a little like I put in the kitchen for nothing, but it turns out I just needed to get back to my usual food on my usual timetable to make me feel more at home. So now I do. (Kind of like when I get that "I have no plans for the rest of my life" feeling, it means I need to get back in the glass studio.)

To add to the kitchen happiness, I got a big 'ol clear bowl to display my stash of one color of fruit - which right now is oranges of all types - decorator style.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m so jealous of you having access to a farmer’s market year round. Argh. Today I’m just happy that it warmed up to the high teens.

Amy in CA said...

Our local farmer's market is open on Tues. & Wed. and I love shopping there! In the summer, the kids go with me and they each fill a bag.

I also purchase a crate of organic fruits & veggies from the school (fundraiser) every week. It's to support our local growers "CSA program". The only downside is that you can't pick what you want . . . however, it has forced me to cook/eat new veggies.

Enjoy & happy eating!

:o)