Friday, October 24, 2008

In Perfect Harmony

Along the same lines as my ostensible blog inspiration, I found this list of questions in an email I got from my Aunt a while ago. It focuses on the people who have been instrumental in ones success. Someone might already have sent it to you, but instead of emailing it, I'm posting it here. I think it's a good list, and it's nice to think of and remember friendly people.

Granted in my attempt to keep the blog semi-anonymous so as not to give publicity to the publicity shy, I will be going with semi cryptic answers. If you think you resemble these remarks, you do. If you don't see a resemblance you ought to stop by more often it was unintentional.

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
  • My middle school science teacher who recommended me for the only one of two slots allotted for a "space camp" (in LA of all places, not Huntsville) that wasn't filled due to nepotism. Yeah, yeah, I learned some science stuff. More importantly, it was the first time in my life I was ever in the popular crowd. I might not have been as successful in high school or gone to MIT without this experience.
  • My fifth grade year was pretty miserable. I had grown away from my childhood friends and didn't know what to do with myself. My teacher gave me tasks to do over recess if I didn't have anyone to hang out with that day.
  • A quick list: My high school calculus teacher. She was just a really fun lady, and the math team coach. I really enjoyed her classes and the Math Team.
    My third grade teacher taught us some German and about bacteria and positive visualization and gave us stickers. Eighth grade teacher inspired me to Eurail around Europe, which a friend and I did in May of 1992. My HS principal let me keep my drafting assignments in his office during lunch so I wouldn't have to run to class. My drafting teacher let me pick my "random" class partner from a face up selection of cards. My middle school geography teacher had us color maps and learn about Minnesota and geology. My HS chorus directors took us to sing in Europe in '89. My lab professor who encouraged me to ask my Thesis advisor for a project. My 7th grade homeroom teacher still talks to my mom at the library.

2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
Naturally, my list is longer than three. But I will try to restrain myself.
  • Thanks to my friend who called me every morning for a month and spoke to me for 45 minutes every day until I woke up enough to get out of bed. I finally asked my parents for help and my dad took over and called me every day for a year and nearly every day for 3. I would probably not be employed without this intervention.
  • Any friend who let me do laundry at their house so I didn't have to chose between their company and being clean.
  • My friends at work who talked me down off the edge time and again so I could be reasonably composed after a chat and a little pork pad see yu.
  • Friends who either visit me or let me visit them when I'm in need of company. Or when you are.

3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
  • Mom and Dad, obviously. Mom sent me to Barbazon's "be a model or learn to look like one" class for makeup training and Dad taught me to drive and to knock all the nails out of used lumber so you don't get caught on them. And to open your home to people who need a nice place to be every so often. Among other things.
  • Page Hazelgrove who taught me to blow glass and let the glass speak to me.
  • The seminar instructor who taught me how to say "I don't like what you did" without saying "I don't like you". And the difference between being assertive vs aggressive or passive.
  • HGTV designer Karen MacAloon who gave me the courage to modify things I own so they suit me, rather than live with things that are slightly wrong.
  • All friends, family, professors, etc...

4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
  • Everyone who responded to my blog yesterday. I really am feeling more impotent about the coming election. But I'll just keep talking to people. It's what I do.

5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
  • If I've hung out with you, consider yourself on the list, unless you were on the street corner with a "Yes" sign recently. Whether eating out, hiking in the town forest, kayaking or rafting, watching TV, unpacking, drinking, blowing glass, traveling, sitting on the beach, rock scrambling up the side of Catalina, going to booksignings, driving around, baking cookies, or doing not much of anything... it's all good.
.

No comments: