Saturday, May 17, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever

Breaking radio silence to mention that I've got a friend in town. She came in on thursday night, I worked a half day friday, and when I woke up today I thought it was sunday already. But it's not! I still have a whole weekend!

Yesterday I had a couple appointments that kept us close to town early in the day so we hit up the outlet malls and tried on shoes. There was a heeled thong by Carlos Santana that I liked rather well but couldn't justify. I wound up with 2 new pairs of work shoes in black and brown that are at least a little trendy in their closed-toe-closed-low-heel-ness. After that I had a chiropractor appointment and the massage lady there had a concurrent appointment open, so I signed my friend up for that only to find it was her first massage. I'm not sure she *liked* it as such, but she did say it got her over her fear of massages.

After that, we joined half of LA and drove up to Santa Barbara for a little walk along the beach and pier, lots of picture taking, watching boys at the skate park (since I've moved here, I've only ever seen 1 girl in a skate park) and dinner at my regular place. It's the first time I've ever sat at a table there, I think. Every other time a place at the bar opens up in 5 min or so, especially later in the evening. But last night it was packed to the gills at 8:30. And 9:30. Presumably the weekend was so nice, everyone took their boat out until sunset and then needed dinner. Worth the wait for the beer-boiled shrimp though. And fried scallops and the seafood pasta that they served in two bowls when we said we were splitting it.

This morning my friend from the east coast got up for an east coast morning even though we got in around midnight. She's gone off in search of coffee and chocolate at Choclatine down the street while I wake up. I think I'm awake now though and it's about time for us to hit up the annual Strawberry Festival. Last year there was a booth for all-you-can-eat strawberry shortcake, and I bought that excellent steel table for my patio. I hope she enjoys it and we don't overspend. I think it's likely we will overeat though.

2 comments:

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all! Meowm says she wants all you can eat strawberry shortcake!

CrankyOtter said...

Turns out all we could eat was strawberries on funnel cake! And a strawberry daquiri and a strawberry smoothie. Yum. If Meowm winds up out here in strawberry season, we can arrange the shortcake.